Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

MY MOTHER WORRIED ALL THE TIME, AND I TEND TO WORRY A LOT TOO. DOES THAT MEAN THAT I'M GOING TO BE A WORRIER FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE LIKE SHE IS?

telegraph.co.uk
Worry is based on self-talk. Often when people worry excessively, they overestimate danger in the world and underestimate their ability to cope. Just because your mother worried a lot does not automatically mean you are going to be a worrier for the rest of your life. Worrying can become a habit, but all habits can be changed with hard work. When you start to worry, instead of letting your mind toss around “what if this and what if that?” it is a good idea to flesh out what is most likely to happen. Focus on probabilities (likelihoods) rather than remote possibities. Also, ask yourself, “What's the worst- case scenario and how would I deal with it?”

Perhaps your mother was afraid to drive and never drove her car. This is a behavior that can change if a person is willing to question some of her negative assumptions. Your mother might have said to herself, “I can't drive—I'll crash…What if I totaled the car?…What if I hurt somebody else?…What if I became paralyzed?” If that is what she believed, it makes sense she would feel anxious about driving and probably avoid it. However, it might have been good for her to question, “Why can't I learn to drive a car?” and “Even though car accidents happen, what makes it certain I'm going to have a car accident if I try to drive?” Worrisome thoughts can be identified, evaluated and disputed, but it takes consistent effort. Remember also that life contains hassles, problems, and nuisances, so an absence of any distressing emotion is not going to be realistic. However, if you notice yourself worrying excessively, you might decide you prefer appropriate concern to excessive worry. The difference between worries and concerns depends on your thinking!
Source: The Anxiety Answer Book by: Laurie A. Helgoe, PhD, Laura R. Wilhelm, PhD, Martin J. Kommor, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment