Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

PEOPLE TELL ME THAT I THINK TOO NEGATIVELY. WHAT'S THAT ABOUT AND HOW CAN I CHANGE MY THINKING?

blogs.psychcentral.com
Many people are in the habit of thinking negatively, but this habit can be altered. Diminishing negative thinking takes a willingness to question old, unhelpful, inaccurate ideas, and practice new, more helpful, accurate ones. Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) and Cognitive Therapy , the two main foundations for cognitive-behavioral therapy, provide detailed explanations about the influence of overly negative thinking, as well as strategies for change.
REBT, developed by Albert Ellis, identifies 4 main types of irrational beliefs that all humans hold. These irrational beliefs generate extreme negative emotions and lead to more harmful behaviors. People do better when they challenge their irrational beliefs and develop more rational thinking (see chart ).
Cognitive therapy, founded by Aaron Beck, also holds that all people regularly make “thinking mistakes” known as cognitive distortions. Sticking with distorted thinking tends to make feelings worse; developing more realistic, balanced thinking tends to improve emotions and problem-solving. Here are some of the common thinking mistakes identified (source: Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond by Judith Beck), with examples and alternatives:
Irrational Beliefs(lead to anxiety, panic, anger, rage, fury, and depression with less effective problem-solving)
Demandingness
 I should not have anxiety. The world should be fair and easy.


Global Self/Other Ratings
I'm no good.
He's a jerk.

Low Frustration Tolerance Because I don't like this, I can't stand it.
Awfulizing
 Because I don't like feeling anxious, that means it's awful, terrible, and horrible.
Rational Alternatives(lead to concern, irritation, sadness, or disappointment, with more effective problem-solving)

Preferences
 I wish I didn't have to struggle with anxiety, but I can face it. I wish the world were fair and easy, but it doesn't have to be.
Behavior Ratings (Not Judging the Worth of a Person
I made a bad decision; I'm not bad. He behaved poorly during our talk.
Improved Frustration Tolerance
I don't like this, but I can stand it.

De-awfulizing Dealing with anxiety is a nuisance, but not horrible or awful.


All-or-Nothing Thinking: You see things in only two categories (good/bad, right/wrong, anxious/not anxious) without considering that there are “gray areas” or “in-betweens.”
Being anxious means being miserable vs. Being anxious is inconvenient.
Catastrophizing: You assume that the worst will happen without realizing that other, less upsetting outcomes might be more likely.
I'll never learn to manage my fears vs. I can learn to manage my fears if I work at it.
Emotional Reasoning: You think something is true just because you feel it is true (this is actually a very strong belief that you hold and you're sure you're right even if there is no evidence for your belief).
I know he's going to break up with me vs. He's told me he's very happy with me. There's no evidence that he wants to break up at this time.
Mind-Reading: You assume you know what someone else is thinking even without them telling you.
They think I'm a loser vs. I have no way of knowing what they're thinking.
Personalization: You think you are the reason that something bad happened or someone reacted negatively without taking other more likely explanations into account.
He didn't say hello because I've upset him in some way vs. He didn't say hello because he was distracted by his work.
Should/Must Statements: You have a “demand” for how things should be (e.g., your behavior, someone else's behavior) and you exaggerate how bad it is if things don't go the way you expect them to.

I shouldn't be this anxious—it's awful vs. Feeling anxious is often a hassle, but I can still enjoy my life.
Source: The Anxiety Answer Book by: Laurie A. Helgoe, PhD, Laura R. Wilhelm, PhD, Martin J. Kommor, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment